Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Just Peachy!

This looks promising!
I was in a wicked mood after a loooooooooong day at work. After tucking the kiddos into bed, I hopped onto pinterest for a little "pin therapy." There was a recipe called puff pastry cherry blossoms that caught my eye. Mmmmmmm, I thought.... Looks good!

The good news was I had some store bought puff pastry left over from the asparagus gruyere tart I made earlier in the week. The bad news? No cherries. Or cherry pie filling. Shit, I thought...

There was no way I was going to make it to the store - rule number 1 of Mommyhood: never wake sleeping children! &%$#!, I said under my breath.  I started thinking about what I did have on hand... Canned peaches! That could work! So, here's what I did:

Makes 9 "Blossoms"
Store bought puff pastry (I found it in the freezer section - ice cream/novelties)
1 can of canned peaches, cut small or lightly "mashed"
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Chopped walnuts ~ 1/4 cup
Egg wash
Optional: Caramel sauce to drizzle on top (I used caramel sauce from Starbucks)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Cut one thawed puff pastry sheet into 9 squares. Mix the peaches, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. This is your filling. Yum!

Place a small spoon full of the peach filling in the center of each puff pastry square (no more than a tablespoon - trust me!) If you want, sprinkle a few chopped walnuts on top then grab two corners, pull up to the center and pinch together. Then put your finger on the underside of one of the remaining sides and join it with the top. Repeat on the other side and then pinch two seams together, and leave the other two open. This is how the "blossoms" blossom. ;)

Place them on a cookie sheet that's either been 1) lined with wax paper or a sil pat, or 2) lightly greased. Brush them each with egg wash then bake for 15 - 25 minutes. Mine took 25 - you want them to be nice and golden brown.

When you remove them from the oven, you can drizzle some warm caramel sauce on top. OMG this is sooooooooo good! I warmed mine up in the microwave for a few seconds so it would be easier to drizzle.

The best news is that they are ready to eat almost immediately after coming out of the oven! You could be really bad and serve with a scoop (or four) of vanilla ice cream. Mmmmmmm! Now I feel just peachy.

You can make this with really any fruit filling you want. Experiment with glazes too - powdered sugar drizzle sounds yummy too! Or, you could make it with chocolate filling and top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Oh snap - that sounds delish!

Peach Blossoms

Enjoy!
C



2 comments:

  1. That's the kind of recipe to have on hand. Quick and easy and soooooo delicious. Think I'll get ingredients to have on hand for the fam next weekend when all are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were very easy to make, thanks to pre made puff pastry. Unbelievably delicious!

      Delete