Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winner - Crab Cake Hushpuppies

Crab Cake Hushpuppies

This week's winner was Crab Cake Hushpuppies. I chose these for the poll because they combined two of my favorite things: crab cakes (probably my most favorite thing to eat!), and for those of who who have spent time in the south: hushpuppies, delicious little pieces of fried cornbread... Yum!

Needless to say I was very excited to try this recipe! I was really down to the wire this weekend - usually I make my "pinteresting" winners on Saturday, but it's been a whirlwind weekend and I didn't get to them until this afternoon. I was very lucky to have the help of my friend Brenda, who showed up on my doorstep with a deep fryer and lattes!

This recipe was actually pretty simple. Not too many ingredients. Here they are:

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (I used green - it's what I had on hand)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces fresh lump crab meat
1 egg
3/4 cup beer
Vegetable oil for fryin'

Stir together the cornmeal, flour, green onions, bell pepper, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Then add the crab meat, egg, and beer and mix until just combined (try not to over mix). Let stand 10 minutes. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a large pan or deep fryer and heat to 360°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently. Drain them on a few paper towels and serve with your favorite dippin' sauce. We used Thai sweet chili sauce - mmmmmm!

These turned out pretty well, but were more hushpuppy than crab cake, which is totally fine, but I'd prefer to have more crab. Next time around I'll probably double the amount of crab (yes, I really like crab!) I also made them too large - remember that as they cook, they'll puff up a bit. I think instead of using a tablespoon, next time I'd do a heaping teaspoon. The amount you end up with will depend on how large you make them, but I'd say we had about a dozen. 

Here's how they turned out!


Enjoy!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment